Chinese to English Translations

One of my pet projects is building my very own do it yourself Chinese dictionary and contextual language tool. The dictionary idea is basically a tool that prints out all the information I need on any character in my data base. the idea was that as I entered text, say a book I was trying to translate, I could update data already entered based on each new entry. I also wanted the ability to add characters and words easily and I wanted it to handle both simplifed and traditional characters.
Part of the offshoot of this was the following essays taken from a Yale Class site. They had the Simplified characters and the mp3 file but not translation and no transliteration. So I used my dictionary to do all of that. The result is as you see it below. My next step is to find more ready printed (uncopyrighted) chinese text and use that to build up my database. Note that previously I was typing everything in which is a little time consuming. Hopefully this will speed up the process so the dictionary is more complete. meanwhile you can check out the translations and transliterations below.

I would love to know what you think of the layout, if it is helpful.
Because this was taken from a yale site I used Yale romanization. Mostly though I prefer to use both Pin Yin and Gwoyeu Romatzyh together.

Oh yes, the english translations are "rough," I didn't bother going through to make it grammatically correct, but hopefully sensable enough that you can make sense of both the passages and how the Chinese grammar system works.

all the best

Neil

P.S. Each entry contains two main blocks of text with each block divided into two parts left to right.
In the first block the left part contains Simplified Chinese "words" with the corresponding Yale Romanization. The right part contains the corresponding Traditional Chinese characters with the English Translation.

The second block of text contains just Simplified characters on the left and just the corresponding Traditional characters on the right. Just in case you want to test your reading or comprehension skill!

again, all the best

Neil

Chinese to English Translations


1. Traditional Chinese Festivals
2. Chinese Culture and Tradition-Respecting the Older Generation

3. Chinese Codes of Behavior-Being a Guest and Receiving Them
4. The role of Women in Traditional Chinese Marriages