Communicating Efficiently by Understanding the Idea of what we are trying to say

When I teach yoga I endeavor to use language that directly relates to what I am talking about. I teach based on what I understand and I try to let what I understand drive the words that I use. Rather than worrying about the words I focus on the idea that drives those words. I’m helping my students to change their body so I use the change that I’m trying to create drive the words that I use.
I also explain the language that I use so that people can get on with doing yoga. For example when they understand what I mean when I say, “Roll the pelvis forwards” they can do it. And if they haven’t yet got the full ability to roll their pelvis forwards they can work on developing that ability as opposed to wasting time trying to figure out what I said.
Watching the people in my class when I explain rolling the pelvis forwards (and backwards) I can see if someone doesn’t get it and explain it to them in a different way, perhaps having them look in a mirror at both myself and themselves so that it is easier for them to duplicate the action.
Some people might not be able to do the action easily because of tight muscles or the position they are in and looking at my students I can detect this problem and act on it. I can suggest a change in position so that it is easier to them to move their pelvis and to learn to feel it.
Why have them modify their position? So they can move their pelvis and learn to feel it moving. Once they can move their pelvis and feel it moving then they can slowly move to the limit of their ability and then push that limit back.
What is the pelvis, it is a Component Idea in the Big Idea of the body. It is the “Bony Bowl” that connects the legs to the spine. In some instances we can think of it as an extension of the spine, an extra large vertebrae that gives us leverage so that we can use our hip muscles to act on the spine. In other instances we can think of it as the base of the spine and in other instances as the center of the body. These are some of the ways we can view the idea of the pelvis.
Why do I teach people about the pelvis? It is a logical and real element of the body. I teach them so that they can learn to sense and control it.
What is a Yoga Pose, it is a way of positioning each part of the body, perhaps with a specific intent, to strengthen or stretch particular muscles of the body or to put the body in a particular shape for some energetic benefit or to benefit the organs of the body in a particular way.
Each yoga pose is an idea, a Big Idea (the intention of the pose) made up of the Component Ideas of what each part of the body should be doing (the intention for each part of the body).
In any pose where the pelvis is required to roll forwards, that is the idea of what the pelvis does in that pose. Learning this idea my students can do it and they can learn to do it without having to think about it.
Imagine me as the teacher being able to say “Roll your pelvis forwards” and everyone doing it almost as soon as the words are said. We have an efficient transmission of information. I can say it and they can get on with doing it. We Zero Parallax and we make the best use of the time that we have.
To get to that stage I have to teach them their body and before that I have to teach them a common language and even before that I have to understand what I am trying to get them to do.
When I understand the ideas of the body and the idea of what each part is doing in a yoga pose I can teach efficiently and effectively. I can do my job well. Understanding the ideas of the body and yoga I can give clear instructions and my students can easily pick up on the purpose of what I am trying to say.
To think in terms of ideas and talk in terms of them we have to know what we are talking about. We also have to understand how we relate to the idea. It forces us to ask the question, how do we define this particular idea? How do other people define this idea? What change does it create for my self? What change does it create for others? Understanding ideas from different points of view we can learn to communicate effectively. We can Zero Parallax.